Even though Gynecomastia is not a life threatening situation, you still need to pay attention to it. Normally it will go away without needing any kind of treatment especially for men that are in their adolescence stage. But if you have had Gynecomastia for more than a year already, you might want to look at the possibility of undergoing the male breast reduction procedure. And just like any other procedures that you will go through, you need to make sure that you have the right professional to help you resolve it. You need to avail of the services of a surgeon that you can trust.
What should you be looking for in a surgeon? Here are the qualities that you should look at in your surgeon in order for you to have confidence in him or her.
Visit: gynecomastia.org for more information!
- Board Certification. This is the best indicator of what particular surgical or medical specialty a surgeon has. People in the UK should look for a gynecomastia surgeon that has a certification with the General Medical Council (GMC).
- Plastic surgeons that have a good amount of experience have done different kinds of cosmetic surgeries. As a patient, you need to ask the surgeon what kind of experience he has on a particular procedure.
- Facility Accreditation. There are different places where cosmetic surgery can be successfully done. It can be done in hospitals, surgicenters and surgical centers that are based in the office. But you need to take note that a lot of office-based surgical facilities do not have accreditation.
- Hospital Privileges. Check if the surgeon has the privilege to operate in the hospital where the procedure is going to be performed. Review committees of hospitals will evaluate the competency and training for particular procedures.
- Reliable References. You can start by asking your general physician for recommendations. Your friends that have undergone the same procedure might also have recommendations. But what is important is you independently verify the board certification of the recommended doctor.
- If you have any questions about your condition and the procedure then the best time to ask them would be during consultation. For a consultation o be thorough, your complete medical history should also be reviewed. Risks of the procedure should also be discussed along with the benefits. Customizing the operation based on these factors will ensure that the patient is getting what he needs.
- No surgeon is right for every patient. Good patient-doctor relationships are developed when there is good communication between the two parties. So opt for a surgeon that you can talk to and discuss matters with you.
- Follow-up Care. The care that you should get from your surgeon does not end when the surgery is finished. Typically, surgeons will want to monitor how you are doing and take a look at the result. So you need to ask the surgeon regarding follow-up check-ups and policies regarding revision of surgeries should you require it.